Gorgeous Blog Readers

Friday, December 12, 2014

My Birth Story

Hi Dolls,

Let me begin by saying when you give birth all dignity goes out the window - so this post will be TMI so if your not interested it may be best to move onto another post ;)

It's Alex's Birthday!!
Thursday November 27th - I had a clinic appointment as I was 40 weeks and 6 days pregnant and this appointment was for an internal examination and to determine when my induction should be scheduled. The appointment was scheduled for 8.40am. We were called at just before 11, and my doctor who examined me determined my waters had broken and I was 3cm dilated! The doctor said 'Oh it looks like your staying in with us today'. I wasn't happy :( I had 3 and half hours sleep over the past 48 hours and I had no idea when my waters broke - it could have been right before I was called into the Doctor or the day before!

11:50 - I was admitted to the Induction room in the hospital.
13:00 - I had an antibiotic drip put in at 1pm because the doctor believed my waters broke more than 18 hours before that point!
14:30 - I finally got some food (not hospital food - I was offered but said no, because of the shock of the beginning of labour!). Daniel (boyfriend and baby daddy) went to get me a toasted ham and cheese sandwich from the coffee shop and I must say it was delicious!
15:15 - The midwife in the induction room (AnnMarie) wanted to examine me internally to determine how far along I was and to see if I should be put on the gel or a drip - this is the doctor's decision but the nurse wanted to be sure of the information before calling the doc! During the examination, she broke my waters! I had no idea it was coming! The nurse advised my back waters had broken and this is why I was dilating but slowly so by breaking my waters this got the labour started properly. So basically the doctor upstairs was wrong! Having my waters broke was disgusting but not painful in any way. Basically they stick a knitting needle type device inside you with a hook on the end (photo below).
Amniohook - long needle type tool with a hook
16:30 (approx.) - I got gas and air. I didn't realize it would alter my voice like helium. It really did help with the pain. It did give me very bad dry mouth, my lips only got dry once and I had my balmi to hand.
17:30 - (approx.) Daniel swapped with my mom as my support so he could have a rest because he was exhausted! Mom came in and after a short period of time managed to convince me to get more pain relief than the gas and air because I was struggling with pain - not just contractions but my hip was quite sore!
6pm - I was moved to delivery suite number 4 for the epidural. I was hooked up to the gas and air and shortly after the anesthetist came to administer the epidural. Getting the epidural wasn't painful at all, just uncomfortable having to lean so far forward curling my spine. The midwife pushed my head into my chest so I was basically eating my nightdress! My mom was made to sit in a chair nearby in case she fainted from the site of the epidural! Daniel came just as this was occurring so had to wait before swapping.

After this I didn't take note of what was happening when (time wise). I just remember a lot in bits. After the epidural, Daniel came in and my mom left. I was telling Daniel I was miming singing a song in the induction room to mom when the radio was playing. The midwife (Anna) said we can put on the radio in the room so when Daniel turned it on Christmas FM was playing so we kept it on! What felt like shortly after I was having regular contractions and felt like I needed to push sooner than I actually did! I was no where near as far along as I thought! I had my eyes closed almost the entire time after the epidural - I know I'm weird, but I think having heard about Mrs. Meldrum's burst eye vessels during her first labour I was afraid it would happen to me! I was also exhausted and felt like I couldn't do it. I think I went to sleep a few times (can't really remember). The epidural didn't work for me so the Midwife called for the anesthetist but he or she was busy in theator so by the time they came by my room I was 7 or 8cm dilated so they didn't see the point in giving it to me at that stage. After this the pushing began, it was kind of horrible! I had a pain in my hip that was pretty unbearable so when it came to lifting my legs to push I couldn't do it alone. Daniel had to help me, after a while a midwife was called in to help because I just gave up - the pain was unbearable! :( My hip pain was worse than the labour pain going on down below! I remember a few people coming in and out of the room but Daniel told me afterwards that a bunch of students came in to see what was happening in the room - doing the rounds!


Pushing the head out stung a lot (as expected from watching one born every minute)! It was tough to push it out but my advice would be to push 3 times if possible during each contractions because it will go a lot quicker!! As the head was near out the midwife lubricated near his head so it would come out easier! I found it hard to catch my breathe after pushing so was hyper ventilating a bit and so the midwife (at my left leg) kept giving out telling me to calm down :/ It wasn't pleasant but I guess it helped! I asked the midwife to pull the baby out with a vacuum or something because I felt I couldn't push him out - but the funny thing was I had a long way to go!! A doctor did come in and examine me and was talking episiotomy - I was terrified and asked not to be told about stitches because I couldn't take it - the midwifes and doctor laughed at me :( Not nice!


Once the head was out I had to pant and not push. The baby was out shortly after but it felt like a long time :/ Alex was born at 12:01! It was crazy, I thought it was like 3 or 4 in the morning. They cut the cord and moved the baby onto the table at the side. He cried after a bit of time and was eventually put on my chest! 



Daniel got to hold him for the first time and it was a very special and nice moment. Despite his nerves he was glad to have done it (I may have forced it ;)).

Once Alex was born, and the placenta delivered (I felt like I needed to push but the midwife advised not to!) we had some alone time with the baby. The midwife got us some tea and toast (which was amazing). Daniel packed up the stuff from the induction room and we moved to our room at 3am.

I text my best friends, close friends and siblings of mine and Daniel's but the text message didn't send! I rang my parents house and told them he was born and Daniel rang his family to tell them. My phone was put across the room in my bag and due to the epidural and catheter I wasn't allowed get out of the bed for 4 hours! It was so annoying but I did try! It was very uncomfortable so I stayed put! After 9am the catheter was removed and I could get up, unpack my bags and freshen up!

My legs were so sore and what felt like partially paralyzed :( I couldn't get in and out of bed easily, I couldn't change my clothes or

The first night in the hospital he slept through the night (winced once but was fine again), the second night he was very unsettled because (according to the nurse) all the visitors would excite him when they held him and unsettle him - so note to new mom's don't let lots of people handle the baby in the hospital!

At this stage I really just wanted to go home. I didn't like how the nurses seemed to just give out to us and be mean - we are both first time parents with no practice or much awareness of babies! I thought we'd be better off at home. I was told twice that we could go home Sunday. Saturday evening Daniel's mom, dad and brother came to visit Baby Alex in the hospital. They came from Limerick to Cork and were 2 hours early for visiting so with the security tight and refusing them entry until 7pm, they went to a pub nearby for some dinner and came back at 6.45pm and were left in. They fed him, burped him and had a cuddle. They headed away around half 8 and Daniel left shortly after. 

Saturday night wasn't too bad, I did have to get up a few times during the night but it wasn't too bad! He just wanted some cuddles :) Sunday leaving the hospital was a nightmare! In a panic Daniel forgot the baby seat at my parents house so my mom brought it in and swapped the car seat with Dan's bag, the baby vomited onto Daniel's leg and he was going to change but I forgot and said mom could take his bag! Whoops! Then, the midwife wanted to weigh Alex and I had to wait to be seen by a doctor because of my legs. The doctor came eventually and my legs seemed perfectly fine but I was in pain with them so she said it will go away within 2-3 weeks! In seeming fine, my leg activity was fine and strength was there. So, the mean nurse came in and obviously not being happy I wanted to leave asked what we were waiting for, I advised her the midwife wanted to weigh Alex before we left and she said 'oh come on so' and Daniel took him to get weighed while I was made stay by the bed and eat the lunch that had arrived for me (despite me telling the nurse that morning I didn't need lunch because I'd be going home). Daniel came back with Alex, his socks were thrown into the cot next to him (no effort made to put them on!) and when we were alone Daniel told me the nurse gave out to him for Alex having a wet nappy and he was forced to change him - to this point I was helping Dan with nappy changes because he wasn't used to it or confident doing it, which didn't bother me because I was thrown into changing nappies at 4am in the dark so got used to it quick! Dan was sweating with the pressure - stupid mean nurse! 

We had no idea how to use the car seat apart from the 10 minute demonstration at our parent craft classes so we winged it - remembering obviously that the straps need to be tight enough you can fit two fingers under so the baby has room to breath! We just weren't confident with lengthening the straps to fit him! We were all ready to go and I couldn't have been happier leaving because the nurses were just mean about it - they were either going to miss our gorgeous little man or they thought I was wrong to leave - despite the magazine saying first time moms stay 2-3 days if normal delivery so I was well within this!

Getting to the car was fine but because the car was so packed with stuff it was a little stressful getting him into the car and myself in the backseat and having all the stuff (including moses basket!). Daniel drove us and halfway home we stopped for a burger and I slept most the way!

When we landed at home Daniel's parents, aunt Ros and granddad were waiting to greet us with the fire lighting inside to keep us warm! Alex was so quiet and peaceful all the way home and in the house :) He was snug and happy out. We were given some gifts and they left us be. Daniel and his mom left to do some food shopping and I was waiting for my mom to arrive with more stuff for us (stuff being bags as I stayed home for 2 weeks before the birth). In between when Daniel left and my mom arriving the baby blues hit! I was worried about how I'd cope with Alex now that we were home! Once mom arrived I stopped winging to myself and just talked out my fears! Mom helped us set stuff up and get organised. When both mom's left it was a little scary but it was nice to be alone with my little family :)
My little family - Daniel holding Alex and me on 7th December
Alex was 9 days old!

Alex is now two weeks old as of 12:01 on 12-12-2014! It's crazy to think it's been two weeks already!! 
Alex 11 days old - make shift photo shoot with mommy :)
Lots of Love
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :) Thanks for stopping by :) xoxo